Sector Indices

Name Value Change %
BSE Carbonex 1,242.94 [17.9] [1.4]
BSE Greenex 2,105.69 [26.3] [1.2]
BSE INFRA 177.20 [1.3] [0.7]
BSE SME IPO 901.47 1.0 0.1
BSE 100 7,691.19 [108.5] [1.4]
BSE 200 3,103.29 [41.5] [1.3]
BSE 500 9,703.32 [128.2] [1.3]

Ms. Ameera Shah, CEO and MD, Metropolis Healthcare

Yash Ved / 14:36 , May 17, 2011

Ms. Ameera Shah, CEO and MD, Metropolis Healthcare has a Business Management Degree in ‘Finance and Management Information Systems’ from the University of Texas at Austin. Later, she joined Goldman Sachs, one of the top investment banking companies in the world. Ms. Shah is instrumental in the company’s exponential growth from just one diagnostic center in Mumbai to a chain of 60 state-of-the-art laboratories across the globe. With her business acumen, strategic mergers and acquisitions, she played a key role in Metropolis’ foray into Sri Lanka, Seychelles, UAE, Thailand and South Africa. Metropolis is shortly launching its diagnostic laboratory in the US as well.
Metropolis Healthcare is India’s only multinational chain of diagnostic centers across India, Sri Lanka, South Africa and the UAE. It offers a test menu of 4000 tests under a single roof, ranging from routine tests in immunochemistry to highly specialized markers in genetics and molecular biology, covering all therapeutic areas. Metropolis Laboratories have been accredited by either CAP (College of American Pathologists), USFDA, NABL (National Accreditation Board for Laboratories) or ISO 15189 for using best-of-breed technologies, highly skilled manpower and globally accepted best practices. Metropolis is the preferred provider of specialized testing for more than 10,000 laboratories, hospitals and research institutions and 50,000 doctors across 125 cities in India through 350 collection points. Services include Pathology Testing, Preventive Health Checks and Wellness and Clinical Research.
Speaking with Yash Ved of IIFL, Ms. Shah says, “We are planning to invest Rs 200-300mn for expanding 15 laboratories and another Rs 50-100mn investment for new equipment.”
Brief us about your business model?
Metropolis Healthcare is India’s only multinational chain of diagnostic centers and has been growing over the last nine years. From 2002 to 2010, the company has expanded its laboratories to 60 and also has 500 collection centres.
The company is present in every state of India either through its own branch laboratories, collection centers or its referral network. It is now also present in South Africa, Sri Lanka, Seychelles, UAE, Nepal, Bangladesh, Mauritius and Nigeria.
We are planning to expand by adding 15 laboratories and 100-200 collection centres by 2012.
What is your overview on the industry?
The Indian pharmaceutical industry is very fragmented. There is lack of regulations and standardization on services.
Are you planning to foray into dental care?
We have forayed into dental care services segment in Mumbai and Chennai.
What are your capex plans?
We are planning to invest Rs 200-300mn for adding 15 new laboratories and another Rs 50-100mn investment for new equipment.
This investment will be funded by internal accruals.
We are also planning an Initial Public Offering (IPO) over the next three years.
Are you planning to expand into new regions?
We are planning to expand into new regions like Africa and Middle East.
Are you planning any acquisitions?
We are planning to acquire companies, particularly in North India and East India. We may acquire companies in Rajasthan, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Chhattisgarh or West Bengal.
What is the revenue mix?
About 75% of our revenue comes from the Indian market while the remaining 25% revenue comes from the international market.
What is your employee strength?
We have about 2,500 employees.