“The recent reform measures have rekindled business confidence. The government is likely to be focused on containing fiscal deficit and we expect a measured, pro-people and growth oriented budget.
Specifically talking about the telecom sector, some of the key expectations will include:
- Infrastructure status has been a long pending demand of the telecom sector. An infrastructure status will not only give it tax exemption but will also make it easier to borrow for telecom companies
- The government should also look at the importance of providing connectivity to the remotest parts of the country. Given the low rural teledensity and widening urban-rural penetration gap, budget should incentivise provision of telecom services in rural areas
- Rationalisation of Taxes and uniform tax structure.
Some of these will enable the telecom sector to continue to contribute in a major way to the dynamism of our economy.”
The author is Chief Financial Officer, Tata Communications.
- Expectation, Highlights and Live Updates on Budget 2016.
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.