Non-farm payrolls rose less than expected, but a rebound in wages highlighted sustained labour market momentum that points to stronger growth, which led to speculation that the US Federal Reserve may consider raising rates as early as in March.
The upswing was led by strong performance of information technology stocks. Nasdaq Composite, the technology-heavy index closed up 0.60% driven by 1.5-2% rise in shares of Apple Inc, Facebook Inc, Amazon Inc, Netflix Inc, and Google's parent Alphabet Inc.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average index rose 64.51 points, or 0.32% to settle at 19,963.8 on Friday. The S&P500 index advanced 7.98 points, or 0.35% to close at 2,276.98. The Nasdaq Composite index gained 33.12 points, or 0.6% to 5,521.06.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.