A document released by environment ministry on Tuesday showed, amid stiff opposition to lab-altered food from domestic activists and politicians.
If the government had not held the request, Mustard variety would have been the first transgenic food crop for commercial cultivation.
Since there is a difference of opinion from the various representative from different stakeholders, the release of transgenic Mustard is kept pending for further review.
Currently, Cotton is the only GM crop in India.
GM food has been opposed by activists and politicians in India due to fears that it could compromise food safety and biodiversity.
Some experts have also questioned claims that GM crops are more productive than normal varieties.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.