ICICI Bank closed marginally higher and HDFC Bank added 1.7%. Tata Motors rose 0.65% and Dr Reddy's Laboratories gained 0.76%.
Wall Street closed slightly lower on Thursday. US crude inventories fell much more than anticipated keeping prices elevated. Nasdaq notched gains to close at a record high while Dow and S&P slid for the day.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average slipped 42.87 points, or 0.21% to close at 19,899.29 on Thursday and the Nasdaq Composite added 10.93 points, or 0.2% to 5,487.94.
The S&P 500 dropped 1.75 points, or 0.08%, to end at 2,269, with financials leading six sectors lower and real estate the biggest riser.
On macroeconomic front, ADP reported that US private employers created 153,000 jobs during December, much lower than the print of 215,000 during November. Markets look forward to the official US non-farm payroll numbers for December, wherein expectations are calling for an addition of 178,000 jobs.
Crude oil futures were underpinned by reports of Saudi Arabia trimming output in January.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.