Monday was the last day for submitting the bids.
A trainset comprises coaches where each car is powered by a dedicated propulsion system and there is no locomotive required to haul the train.
“Today was the last date for the submission of the financial bids for the trainset project. But all five shortlisted bidders did not submit any bids. So in the absence of any bidding till the last day, the tendering process gets discharged,” a senior Railway Ministry official has been quoted as saying.
Railways had floated global tenders in June last year for procurement, maintenance and manufacture of a total of 316 coaches for 17 trainsets for faster inter-city travel.
As per the request for proposal (RFP), while 276 coaches were to be manufactured in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme, 40 were to be imported.
Five bidders had qualified and were expected to submit tenders by December-end. The bid submission date was later pushed to February-end.
The bidders then wanted the number of coaches to be increased from 316 to 1,000, as they felt the project will not be financially viable with fewer cars, says the paper.
The deadline for submitting the bids was further extended to 2nd May.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.