He was responding to a question on the government's push for consolidating public sector banks with an aim to create fewer and larger banks.
"It seems to me that cleaning up has been postponed for one reason or the other. We are in a reasonable position to do it. We need to actually achieve it and put the capital that is necessary to recapitalise the banks where it is needed and after it seems that some of the (merger) decisions can be made," he said.
Pointing out that going forward, the merger would not be as easy as SBI's that had few teething issues, Rajan said, "you would be merging banks with fairly different culture, fairly different orientation, system and region".
Disclaimer: The contents herein is specifically prepared by ‘Dalal Street Investment Journal’, and is for your information & personal consumption only. India Infoline Limited or Dalal Street Investment Journal do not guarantee the accuracy, correctness, completeness or reliability of information contained herein and shall not be held responsible.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.