Critical illness policy covers only illnesses of serious nature that are likely to result in permanent debility or death of the insured.
Since the costs of treatment of these diseases aresky high and can cripple a person financially,this policy has proved to be a boon for those who have suffered from such serious medical conditions.
Some of the diseases and medical conditions covered by the critical illness policy include:
· Cancer (of specified severity)
· First heart attack (of specified severity)
· Open chest coronary artery bypass grafting (bypass surgery)
· Open heart replacement or repair of heart valves
· Coma (of specified severity)
· Kidney failure requiring regular dialysis
· Stroke resulting in permanent symptoms
· Major organ/bone marrow transplant
· Permanent paralysis of limbs
· Motor neuron disease with permanent symptoms
· Multiple sclerosis persisting symptoms
· Aplastic anaemia
· Bacterial meningitis
· Loss of speech
· End stage liver disease
· End-stage lung disease
· Fulminant viral hepatitis
· Major burns
· Muscular dystrophy
The above list is only indicative and the actual diseases and medical conditions covered by the policy are given in the policy document.
The actual illnesses covered by the policy will depend on the sum assured and the amount of policy premium, so the higher the sum assured and policy premium, the more the number of diseases covered.
Therefore, while buying this policy, it is advisable to check outthe diseases that are covered under the policy and the medical conditions that are not covered, apart from the exclusions mentioned in the policy document.