The production of pulses stood at record 22.95 million tonnes in the 2016-17 crop year (July-June) as against 16.35 million tonnes in the previous year. The country imported about 5 million tonnes of pulses last fiscal.
With bumper output and low domestic prices, the government has recently restricted import of some varieties of pulses, which will lead to reduction in imports this fiscal.
The ministry said the government is focusing on raising the production of oilseeds to cut imports of edible oils.
India produced 32.1 million tonnes of oilseeds in the 2016-17 crop year (July-June) from 26.21 million hectares at a productivity of 1,225 kg per hectare. The country imported about 14.5 million tonnes of vegetable oils in 2016-17.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.