iifl-logo-icon 1

Invest wise with Expert advice

By continuing, I accept the T&C and agree to receive communication on Whatsapp

  • Open Demat with exclusive Advice & Services
  • Get a dedicated Relationship Manager to help you grow your wealth
  • Exclusive advisory on 20+ trading & wealth-based investment options
  • One tap Investments, Automated trading & much more
  • Minimum 1 lakh margin required
sidebar image

Yen in Focus as Dollar Slips Ahead of Key US Inflation Data

10 Apr 2024 , 10:54 AM

The dollar steadied on Wednesday as investors focused on an important U.S. inflation report that was scheduled for release later in the day, while the yen stayed just marginally over what the markets saw as the breaking point for Japanese authorities to step in.

U.S. consumer price inflation for March is the primary focus of the market on Wednesday. Traders have been anxiously expecting this data for any clues regarding the Fed's policy stance.

The inflation data comes after a robust jobs report last Friday that exceeded expectations and raised fresh concerns about the timing and magnitude of the central bank's rate reduction this year.

In the face of evidence of the U.S. economy's ongoing resilience, futures traders trimmed their bets to the lowest level since October, cutting rates by about 60 basis points this year, according to LSEG data released on Monday.

According to CME Group's FedWatch tool, before of the data, U.S. interest rate futures increased the likelihood of the first cut happening in June from 51% on Monday to roughly 60%. However, the likelihood of a hold has increased to 40%.

A strong CPI data will probably see markets pricing in a June cut, which would cause the dollar to spike higher.

But even if the report is below forecasts, June bets are likely to stay mostly unchanged as long as obstacles persist, she added, implying the dollar may only slightly decline.

The U.S. dollar index, which compares the value of the dollar to six competitors, remained stable at 104.10.

The Bank of Japan Governor, Kazuo Ueda, said on Tuesday that there may be another interest rate hike later this year in accordance with market predictions, which helped the yen hold onto its 34-year low against the dollar ahead of the data.

As the BOJ head spoke again in the Asian morning, the value of the Japanese yen gained 0.06% to $101.70.

As the European Central Bank meeting on Thursday draws near, the euro remained stable at $1.085575. This week's rate announcement from the ECB is anticipated to remain unchanged, but speculators who are speculating that rate cuts will begin in June will be watching for clues from officials.

At $1.26760, sterling was essentially unchanged.

At its monetary policy meeting on Wednesday, the Reserve Bank of New Zealand is anticipated to maintain rates at 5.5% ahead of the U.S. CPI. For hints about the prognosis, attention will be focused on the tone of the RBNZ's announcement.

The kiwi increased to $0.60655 against the US dollar, up 0.07%. To $0.6630, the Australian dollar increased by 0.05%.

For feedback and suggestions, write to us at editorial@iifl.com

Related Tags

  • Dollar
  • Euro
  • Yen
sidebar mobile


Read More
Knowledge Centerplus

Logo IIFL Customer Care Number
1860-267-3000 / 7039-050-000

Logo IIFL Securities Support WhatsApp Number
+91 9892691696

Download The App Now

Knowledge Centerplus

Follow us on


2024, IIFL Securities Ltd. All Rights Reserved

  • Prevent Unauthorized Transactions in your demat / trading account Update your Mobile Number/ email Id with your stock broker / Depository Participant. Receive information of your transactions directly from Exchanges on your mobile / email at the end of day and alerts on your registered mobile for all debits and other important transactions in your demat account directly from NSDL/ CDSL on the same day." - Issued in the interest of investors.
  • KYC is one time exercise while dealing in securities markets - once KYC is done through a SEBI registered intermediary (broker, DP, Mutual Fund etc.), you need not undergo the same process again when you approach another intermediary.
  • No need to issue cheques by investors while subscribing to IPO. Just write the bank account number and sign in the application form to authorise your bank to make payment in case of allotment. No worries for refund as the money remains in investor's account."

www.indiainfoline.com is part of the IIFL Group, a leading financial services player and a diversified NBFC. The site provides comprehensive and real time information on Indian corporates, sectors, financial markets and economy. On the site we feature industry and political leaders, entrepreneurs, and trend setters. The research, personal finance and market tutorial sections are widely followed by students, academia, corporates and investors among others.

  • 9 out of 10 individual traders in equity Futures and Options Segment, incurred net losses.
  • On an average, loss makers registered net trading loss close to Rs. 50,000.
  • Over and above the net trading losses incurred, loss makers expended an additional 28% of net trading losses as transaction costs.
  • Those making net trading profits, incurred between 15% to 50% of such profits as transaction cost.
Copyright © IIFL Securities Ltd. All rights Reserved.

Stock Broker SEBI Regn. No: INZ000164132, PMS SEBI Regn. No: INP000002213,IA SEBI Regn. No: INA000000623, SEBI RA Regn. No: INH000000248

We are ISO 27001:2013 Certified.

This Certificate Demonstrates That IIFL As An Organization Has Defined And Put In Place Best-Practice Information Security Processes.