Great Lakes Institute of Management today held its ninth Convocation, 2013 wherein students of PGPM whihc is 1 year flagship program, PGXPM a 2 year Executive MBA and PGWPM which is a 2 year Weekend MBA program, graduated in the presence of eminent industrialists Vellayan, Executive Chairman, Murugappa Group and Ramesh Vangal, founder and Chairman, Katra Group; and Dr. Bala V. Balachandaran, Founder & Dean, Great Lakes Institute of Management. This year marks the entry of Great Lakes Institute of Management into its tenth successful year since its inception in 2004.
The event commenced with Dr. Bala V. Balachandran declaring open the ceremony at the Chennai Trade Centre. Dr. Balachandran expressed his happiness and wished the graduating students all success in their professional careers. Keeping up with the philosophy of Great Lakes, he added that the sole purpose of attaining the best education is to give back to the society and create opportunity for all. In his speech the Chief Guest Mr. Vellayan emphasized the importance of facing challenges in the real world with the right spirit. Delivering the Presidential speech Mr. Ramesh Vangal advised the students to follow ethical practices and create the right impact in society.
Prof. Sriram, Executive Director, Great Lakes Institute of Management, reported that this year 429 students graduated of which 362 students were from PGPM Class 2013, 30 PGXPM students of class 2013 and 37 students were from PGWPM class 2012. Excitement and joy flowed as families and friends cheered for the graduating students who received the degree certificates from the chief guest. A special moment of pride and accomplishment grew among the graduating mothers, who went on to set new levels for their counterparts.
PGPM Class of 2012:
Apart from academic rigor some of the highlights of the graduating class were –
· Guest Lectures - Over hundred guest Lectures were delivered by eminent industrialist and academicians in the academic year April 2012-13
· Some of the notable lectures were delivered by :
- Dr. Philip Kotler, Marketing Guru
- Dr. Shyam Sunder, James L. Frank Professor of Accounting, Economics & Finance at Yale School of Management
- Mr. R. Gopalakrishnan, Director, Tata Sons
- Dr. Carlos Arruda, FDC, Brazil
- Mr. Ramachandra Sundaralingam, International Drugs Expert – Interpol
· Entrepreneurs - Mr. Satish Rajagopalan, Founder Director, Spearhead EduOnline, an online education portal to provide quality education anywhere, anytime and to anyone
· Great Lakes’ students won accolades in several management competitions conducted by institutions such as IIMs, XLRI, IITs, etc and won 17 first prizes, 13 second prizes and 8 third prizes overall
· International Competition: 2 students represented Great Lakes and India in the Hyundai Global Youth Marketing Camp in South Korea between February 23rd and 28th, 2013. And a team comprising a Great Laker and 4 Korean students, 4 Indian students and 1 Chinese student won a competition with the Best BTL Marketing Strategy
· Top three empirical research work
- Servant leadership and follower's organizational commitment: Role of leader's charisma was adjudged best research by Abirami Muthi
- Analysis of bankruptcy prediction models and their effectiveness: An Indian perspective was by Gokhul A and Manu Shankar
- Effectiveness and efficiency of event sponsorship in brand building by Ashutosh Naik and Chandni Gupta’s
· Karmayoga a philosophy driven concept of learning played an integral part of the study programme. Through Karmayoga students participated in several social projects in order to uplift the standards of the society which also foresaw nurturing of leadership qualities in students. 20 villages around Great Lakes have been adopted for the Karma Yoga program and the students visit these villages every week.
PGXPM Class of 2013:
The seventh batch of Executive MBA program graduated this year. Some of the highlights of the batch were:
· Mr. Rajagopalan T.S, CFO, WABCO is a Gold Medalist, awarded Best Outgoing Participant
· Mr. Arun Kumar Associate Director, Product Management, Roamware Inc. awarded Gold Medal, Academic Topper
· Mr. Muthukumaran J. promoted to AGM, Production, Sundaram Clayton with his span of control being doubled from what he initially handled
PGWPM Class of 2012:
The batch took pride in being the first graduating batch of Working professional program in management from Great Lakes and some of the highlights of the program are:
· Meenakshi L is a working mother and Senior Executive – Finance, Renault Nissan. A Double Gold Medalist in the PGWPM program awarded for Academic Topper and Best Outgoing Participant
· Lavanya Saraswathi is working mother and Manager, Sabari Investigation Agency. A Gold Medalist awardee for academic topper in PGWPM program
Since its humble beginning in the year 2004, Great Lakes Institute of Management has established itself as a strong brand among other B-Schools in the country. It has a strong network of alumni with over 2215 individuals currently working in several countries apart from India. Being pioneers of entrepreneurship, Great Lakes have spread the culture among their alumni as well, with many alumni choosing to be entrepreneurs. Also, the year 2012 also makes a mark in Great Lakes Alumni history as we held the first overseas Alumni Meet at London on 6 Oct 2012.
List of MoUs:
· Great Lakes Institute of Management and Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, USA - Dual degree plan
· Great Lakes Institute of Management and Kaziranga University, Jorhat, Assam
· Great Lakes Institute of Management has signed an MoU with Fudan University China
· Great Lakes Institute of Management and University of Bordeaux, France
· Great Lakes Institute of Management signed an MoU with American Society for Quality India Pvt Ltd(ASQ India)
Bala V. Balachandran, Dean, Great Lakes Institute of Management: Be grateful for what you’ve achieved today, thank everybody and anybody who were involved in your success today. You may forget your school, your teachers and maybe your colleagues, but never forget your parents as they have sacrificed a lot in order to make you stand here.
Vellayan, Executive Chairman, Murugappa Group: Don’t think out of the box as it is uncertain and has no guarantee, but think from a new box for further growth.
One should possess adaptive capacity, listen signals from noise. We are smart people but don’t think you are the smartest, as in life you would get to meet lot of people from whom you’d get to learn a lot. When you cultivate such attitude you’d get to build new relationship and family.
Ramesh Vangal, Chairman, Katra Group:
I urge you to put your mind in three things Think Big, Think Different and Think Together. Human being has no limitation; the only boundary is your skull.
I see the crisis in our country as big opportunity and what our country need today is a leader and it’s you. Aspire to be one, aspiration is very powerful word.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.