- The student leadership committee of the Wharton India Economic Forum (WIEF) announced today the 17th WIEF held in Philadelphia on March 23, 2013 will feature some of India’s top leaders including keynote speakers Arvind Kejriwal, Founder of Aam Aadmi Party; Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission of India, Ron Somers, President, US-India Business Council and Mr. Sashi Reddi, Founder and CEO of AppLabs and VP & GM, Big Data and Analytics at Computer Sciences Corporation. Kejriwal and Ahluwalia will be addressing the forum via live video conference.
This year’s theme will be ‘Changing Seas, Steering for Growth’, and the conference will bring together business and political leaders, professionals, academics, and students from around the world to discuss India's evolution from an emerging nation to a prominent global economic power, and the key social, political and financial challenges ahead.
The forum will be attended by senior industry leaders from Finance, Private Equity, Entrepreneurship, Infrastructure, Healthcare and address social issues like Women’s Empowerment. Prominent speakers include Javed Akhtar (Poet, Lyricist, and Scriptwriter); Ravi Uppal (Managing Director and CEO, Jindal Steel Power Limited); Samir Mitra (Advisor, Prime Minister of India); Shabana Azmi (Actress) and Shankar Narayanan (Managing Director, The Carlyle Group India).
In conjunction with the panels, WIEF will host a Startup Pavilion that will feature 16-20 of the most innovative startups founded by Wharton/Penn students and alumni in India. Last year, Aurality Technologies, a Mumbai-based startup which was a participating Startup in WIEF 2012, successfully secured $300,000 of seed funding shortly after it was showcased at WIEF.
For the first time since its inception in 1996, the forum will feature an Art Pavilion which will exhibit the top submissions for its Photography Contest ‘Portraits of India’ at the conference venue, showcasing the work of participants who intend to represent the beauty and diversity of India.
Over the years, WIEF, an annual conference organized by Wharton students, has been attended by over 800 people annually and has included renowned and influential keynote speakers and panelistssuch as Former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam; current Union Minister of Finance, P. Chidambaram; K.V. Kamath, Chairman of Infosys Limited; Ambassador Arun K. Singh; member of the parliament, Varun Gandhi and industrialists like Anil Ambani and Sunil Mittal.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.