Speaking on this occasion, Sanjay Khajuria, Senior Vice President Corporate Affairs, Nestlé India says, “As part of our efforts to mitigate the disparities in access to water, we engage in various initiatives across our value chain. Within our manufacturing facilities, these include reducing the water used per tonne of product, adopting new technology and recycling or re-using water. We encourage collective community action for long term sustainable water use in agriculture and to provide access to drinking water and sanitation in schools. Khajuria further elaborates, “We are happy with the progress made in promoting water stewardship through our partnership with AgSRI in Karnataka. We are also collaborating with Piramal Water (Sarvajal) for purification systems for drinking water treatment. These are some of the steps taken towards a more sustainable future for our business and for communities, which is in line with our business philosophy of, Creating Shared Value.”
In India we have categorised our water and sanitation related activities under the following broad initiatives.
- Clean Drinking Water Projects have ensured 255 water tanks across six states benefitting more than 109,000 students. We have also partnered with Piramal Water (Sarvajal) for drinking water treatment in locations where groundwater quality does not meet our stringent quality standards. Sarvajal’s top of the line technology provides real-time data on water quality to ensure delivery of safe water.
- Water Awareness Programmes are aimed at creating awareness that the community must use water resources in a sustainable manner. These programmes have reached out to over 58,300 students at schools where we build drinking water facilities.
- We work with milk and coffee farmers to encourage sustainable water usage in agriculture. We have also launched a water stewardship initiative with AgSRI at the Kabini river Basin in Karnataka, implementing pilot projects promoting the System of Rice Intensification and Sustainable Sugarcane Initiative.
- Through our Sanitation Facilities, we are encouraging girl students to stay in school, while promoting good hygiene practices. Till date we have set up over 234 sanitation facilities benefitting more than 80,000 girl students
- As signatories of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development WASH Pledge we ensure every Nestlé employee has access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene of an appropriate standard in the workplace.