The worldwide software testing outsourcing market is expected to grow from $30bn in 2010 to $50bn in 2020 and India is expected to be the biggest beneficiary of this growth according to a NASSCOM report. The ‘skills gap’ is a problem that pervades the IT industry. The heavy investment in critical business applications that keep large corporations moving is at risk because engineering qualifications bear little resemblance to the needs of the market. With India becoming a hub for Testing-as-a-Service, Testing skills shortage likelihood as demand increases exponentially; is bound to improve employability of trained Testers.
Additionally, COBOL which is one of the oldest programming languages, continues to play a pivotal role in running many of the world’s businesses and public services. But sadly, COBOL seems to be missing from curriculums in Engineering and MCA institutes these days.
In response, Micro Focus, the leading provider of enterprise application modernization, testing, and management solutions, today announced the launch of its Academic Program to support academic institutes, business organizations and students in building the next generation of skilled software testing professionals and COBOL developers.
|Software Testing Market trends|
- Independent testing as a business WW is growing at 40-50pc and there is a 35-40pc growth in offshore testing services - Gartner.
- India is estimated to have around 100,000 software testers.
- India has the potential to corner 70pc ($1.82bn) of the outsourced testing market. The global outsourcing testing market opportunity in the current year has been estimated at $4.5bn of which, nearly $3bn will be offshored to cheaper destinations- Industry experts.
- For India, to be prepared to grab this pie, the major challenge is to overcome the shortage of skilled resources. As per estimates, there is a shortage of 22,000 testers and potentially there will be a shortfall of 40,000 more in the years to come.
The company has also launched the Borland Scholar Program, aimed to create India as a hub for World-Class Software Testing Professionals. Micro Focus is reaching out to over 200 colleges to promote the integration of the subject in their university curriculum. With 91 of Global Fortune 100 Companies using Micro Focus Solutions, the program provide students a Competitive Edge in the IT Industry by enabling them to be pre-qualified on widely used Software Testing Tools from Borland.
|COBOL – 50 Years not out!|
- An average person interacts with a COBOL application at least 10 times a day - Research
- Gartner estimates put the number of lines of COBOL code in existence at over 200bn, with the global investment in COBOL applications exceeding several trillion dollars.
- COBOL systems are responsible for transporting up to 72,000 shipping containers, caring for 60mn patients, processing 80% of point-of-sales transactions and connecting 500mn mobile phone users.
- If COBOL were just deleted from airlines’ systems, flights could no longer be booked online, hotels could not handle reservation requests and cash registers at retail stores would simply not work.
The program is designed keeping in mind the Engineering Student populace in the country. The focus is to train the students on the latest technologies and business models. The company aims to roll out 10000 industry standard professionals to support the growing testing market in India. Considering the present growth and potential in the software testing industry, the opportunities for software testers are enormous. The program will enable the education, enablement and development of the COBOL language and software testing professionals within universities in India and across the globe.
· The Micro Focus Academic program and the Borland Scholar Program, offer universities free software licenses from Micro Focus for non-commercial use in their labs, for teaching or research purposes.
· The programs will support new and existing university IT programs to meet the demands of today’s business organizations, facilitate greater collaboration between businesses and academic communities and provide an interface through which existing students can connect with prospective employers seeking these skills.
· In addition to using this interface to build an employment focused academic community, it will also be used to host competitions, encouraging students to test their coding skills and rewarding successful students with prizes and the possibility of an internship.
Nitin Dang, Country General Manager at Micro Focus India, said: As the number of COBOL developers reaching retirement age increases, the demand for quality, skilled developers to support business-critical COBOL applications continues to rise. At present COBOL supports 90 percent of the Fortune 500 business systems every day and powers 85 percent of all daily business transactions processed. As a result, university programs that teach COBOL programming skills, and importantly, connect those students to business organizations, are vital. Without them, the cost and risk scenario for COBOL-based businesses will continue to elevate.
Continuing, Dang said: “Businesses must embrace change to face the twin challenge of IT disruption with new technologies like cloud and mobile, and the need for future innovation. The answer is to bridge the skills gap between old and new developers, unifying them through education, process and technology. Our Academic Program aims to do just that, fostering all three while helping businesses and academia prepare the next generation of COBOL Developers and Test experts.”
This program is an effort to Partner with Academia to complement their efforts of enriching Technical Education in India. Micro Focus aims to bridge the skill-gap in the industry by empowering Engineering students through hands-on training, to be pre-qualified on industry-relevant skills, before they step out of Campus.
For more details on the program, please write to email@example.com
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.