The report highlights five cornerstones for stakeholders to ensure an equitable future for workers:
- Improve data collection and integration across workers' migration corridors and value chains to enable greater visibility and security
- Enable financial, social and legal protection by securing requisite identity proof and worker registration
- Create expectation alignment for workers through a channel informed by industry demand
- Ensure gender equity in opportunities, working conditions and wages through inclusive policies and practices
- Empower construction workers' families and communities by access to diverse livelihood opportunities to prevent distress led entry into the sector
The construction sector is the single largest absorber of informal and migrant workers in India. Due to the low entry barriers, the industry employs a large chunk of India’ssurplus nonagricultural workforce. This is furthered on account of fast-paced urbanization and a high demand for low-skilled workforce.
At around 3.19 pm, Godrej Properties was trading at Rs2343 per piece up 2.7% on Sensex.