In a major relief to those who have not linked their bank accounts and mobile numbers with their Aadhaar number yet, the Supreme Court (SC), on Tuesday, extended the deadline to complete the same indefinitely.
In its order, the apex court ruled that the deadline to link Aadhaar with various government and other services will stay extended till the court passes its verdict on the 12-digit-numberâ€™s â€śconstitutional validityâ€ť.
However, the SC has also made it clear that Aadhaar will be mandatory to receive government benefits and subsidies under Section 7 of the Aadhaar Act.
The apex court had, in December 2017, extended the date to link Aadhaar to bank accounts and cellular services to March 31.
A five-judge constitution bench presided by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra has been hearing various petitions challenging the validity of Aadhaar.
- Save upto Rs.2.67 lakh with Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana ...Know more
- Now Save Rs.3150 on your Demat Account ...Click here
- Now get IIFL Personal Loan in just 8* hours...APPLY NOW!
- Get the most detailed result analysis on the web - Real Fast!
- Actionable & Award-Winning Research on 500 Listed Indian Companies.