What is a duplicate PAN card?
A duplicate PAN card is a copy that the Income Tax department issues to an individual who has lost/damaged/misplaced his previously issued PAN card. People tend to misplace and lose important documents frequently and then tend to agonize over the process of filing for a copy. Income tax department has made it very easy to get a duplicate PAN card. Let us look into how this takes place.
How to apply for a duplicate PAN card?
There are 2 ways an individual can apply for a duplicate PAN card
Step 1: Go to the official site of NSDL Portal.
Step 2: Now under the drop-down box of services click on PAN under the reprint of PAN card section click on Apply Now.
Step 3: You will be redirected to online PAN application page. Under the drop-down box of application type, select Changes and correction in existing PAN data / Reprint of PAN card. Select your category and mention all your personal details like name, email-id, mobile number and date of birth. Documents like photographs and ID proof need to be submitted along with the lost pan card application form, with an applicant expected to sign it before submission.
Step 4: There are 3 ways you can submit the PAN card application form
- Submit physical copies - Printed copy of acknowledgement form along with the essential documents need to be sent by the applicant to NSDL through post or courier.
- Submit digitally through e-Sign & e-KYC - You need an Aadhar card if you want to go ahead with this mode. This option is linked with your Aadhar account and all the details furnished in your Aadhar would be used in your duplicate PAN card. On your registered mobile number, an OTP would be sent asking for authentication of the provided details. Once the details are authenticated, complete the submission by digitally signing the application form.
- Submit through e-Sign and scanned images - For this option as well, the Aadhar is mandatory. You will also require a scanned set of necessary documents and images. You will need to e-sign the application form here as well. Authenticate your details with the OTP provided on your registered mobile number.
Step 6: You will then be directed to another page to fill in your contact & other details in order to receive an OTP for the authentication process.
Step 7: Once the required information is filled, click on Submit after checking the declaration form affirming the authenticity of the provided information.
Step 8: On successful submission, you will be directed to a payments page. After making the required payment, you will be provided with a 15-digit acknowledgement number.
Step 9: You can use the acknowledgement number to track the status of your PAN. In most cases, the duplicate PAN is delivered to within 2 weeks from when acknowledgment receipt is generated.
How to apply Offline?
Step 1: Go to the NSDL website. Download form 49A. You may also collect the form from NSDL office.
Step 2: Fill in the details using only BLOCK Letters.
Step 3: At the top of the form, there is space to fill in your previously issued PAN Number.
Step 4: Attach documents which prove your identity, residence, PAN with the form. If the applicant is a single individual, then attach 2 passport size photographs with the form and cross sign on the form and the picture. But, make sure you are not signing on the face. The face should be clearly visible.
Step 5: Send all the documents along with the required payment to the NSDL office or facilitation center.
Step 6: NSDL then sends your application to the Income Tax Department’s Pan services unit and generates a 15-digit acknowledgment number.
Step 7: You can use the acknowledgment number to track your card status.
Processing fee details
The amount needed to be paid for reprint and dispatch of PAN card within the country is Rs110 inclusive of GST, while for reprint and dispatch of PAN card outside the country the fee payable is Rs1,020.
Documents required for PAN application
For proof of address, the following documents are valid:
- Aadhar Card
- Elector’s Photo Identity Card
- Driving License
- Bank Account Statement
- Credit Card Statement
- Landline Telephone or Broadband Connection Bill
- Employer Certificate in original
- Electricity Bill
- Property Registration document
- For proof of birth, the following documents are acceptable:
- Aadhar Card
- Birth Certificate
- Pension Payment Order
- Marriage Certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages
- Matriculation Certificate
- Domicile Certificate issued by the Government
- Affidavit sworn before a Magistrate stating the date of birth
- Driving License
If you are applying for a duplicate PAN card because it was stolen by someone, then you need to file a FIR at the nearest police station. The applicant needs to send a copy of the FIR along with the set of documents required for the application process.
If you send the PAN acknowledgment by post, please mention on the envelope your acknowledgment number in the format “ACKNOWLEDGMENT NUMBER- (***************)- Application for Reprint of PAN or Application for changes or correction in PAN data.”
If sent offline, all the documents, payments or demand drafts should reach NSDL within 15 days from when the online application is submitted.
The information provided while filling the form should be error free, as any errors can reflect in the new card. The lost pan card number should be correct in order to process the information.