The announcement comes during the Climate Week NYC 2021, one of the biggest climate summits in the world, showcasing climate action undertaken by leading businesses and governments. Over 500 companies globally have joined Climate Group's RE100, EP100 and EV100 initiatives. These include over 25 commitments coming from India-headquartered companies.
Under the three initiatives by Climate Group, Chalet Hotels’ commitments include:
(Renewable Electricity) RE100:
- All properties under the Company’s portfolio will move to 100% renewable electricity by year 2031
- Non-fuel-based energy sources like solar wind and hydro power, already contribute 51% or 13270 MWh of the power usage across the hotel portfolio
- This will enable the Company to reduce its scope 2 emissions which amounts to 10000+ tCO2; while also reducing dependency on grid electricity which stands at 26000+ MWh. This saving in grid power is adequate to provide electricity to around 171 Indian rural villages for a year
- Chalet Hotels commits to double its revenue per unit of electricity consumed by the year 2029, considering a baseline year of 2016
- 100% of the vehicle fleet deployed across the properties in the portfolio, that is used for guest transport, will transition to Electric Vehicles by 2025
- All Chalet properties will be equipped with EV Charging points accessible to both employees and visitors. With an average footfall of approximately 7,50,000 per month (during normal times), across hotels and commercial office spaces, Chalet sees this as an opportunity to influence and encourage a larger populace to transition to EV’s
The Company has reduced overall energy consumption, by investing in energy efficient devices, automation, and latest technology, across its portfolio.
On Wednesday morning trade, Chalet Hotels was trading at Rs190 per piece higher by 1.01% on Sensex.